- The supermarket has also seen more root vegetables such as parsnips, potatoes and carrots being sold.
- A few sweet roots, parsnips, carrots and a stalk of celery will add flavour to the pan juices.
- When it comes to Christmas food I'm completely conventional - turkey, roast potatoes, roast parsnips, bread sauce, stuffing, English mustard and sausages.
- Pastinaca sativa, family Umbelliferae
- Seeds that barely last to the second year include sweet corn, leek, onion, parsley, parsnip, rhubarb and salsify.
- But there are also edible species of biennial, including carrots, parsley, parsnips and globe artichoke or cardoon.
- The rule of thumb is to plant parsnips when you plant potatoes.
Late Middle English: from Old French pasnaie, from Latin pastinaca (related to pastinare 'dig and trench the ground'). The change in the ending was due to association with neep.
Parsnip is from Old French pasnaie, from Latin pastinaca, which is related to pastinare ‘dig and trench the ground’. The change in the ending was due to association with neep, a Scots and northern English word for ‘turnip’ (Old English, from Latin napus). The form turnip appeared M16th, but the origin of the first syllable is not known.
Definition of parsnip in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.