- 1A long tapering cream-colored root with a sweet flavor.More example sentences
- The supermarket has also seen more root vegetables such as parsnips, potatoes and carrots being sold.
- A few sweet roots, parsnips, carrots and a stalk of celery will add flavour to the pan juices.
- When it comes to Christmas food I'm completely conventional - turkey, roast potatoes, roast parsnips, bread sauce, stuffing, English mustard and sausages.
- 2The widely cultivated Eurasian plant of the parsley family that yields this root.
More example sentences
- Pastinaca sativa, family Umbelliferae
- Seeds that barely last to the second year include sweet corn, leek, onion, parsley, parsnip, rhubarb and salsify.
- But there are also edible species of biennial, including carrots, parsley, parsnips and globe artichoke or cardoon.
- The rule of thumb is to plant parsnips when you plant potatoes.
late Middle English: from Old French pasnaie, from Latin pastinaca (related to pastinare 'dig and trench the ground'). The change in the ending was due to association with neep.
More definitions of parsnipDefinition of parsnip in:
- The British & World English dictionary