Definition of partridge in English:
noun (plural same or partridges)
A short-tailed game bird with mainly brown plumage, native to Eurasia.
- Family Phasianidae: several genera and many species, in particular the gray partridge (Perdix perdix), introduced into the northern US, and the red-legged partridge (Alectoris rufa), introduced into Colorado
- Raptors are known to prey on game species, such as quails, partridges, pheasants and rabbits.
- The ubiquitous starling is one of the most widespread problem species but blackbirds, partridges, robins, sparrows, thrushes, and finches are also common.
- For many years this bird was persecuted by game preservers who believed that it was detrimental to both pheasants and partridges.
Words that rhyme with partridgecartridge
Definition of partridge in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India