Definition of partridgeberry in English:
noun (plural partridgeberries)
1A creeping North American plant of the madder family with red berries that are a favored food of game birds.
- Mitchella repens, family Rubiaceae
- The Canada Yew type was composed primarily of Canada yew, with Canada mayflower and partridgeberry making up an additional 33% of the importance.
- Seasonal patterns in the rates of photosynthesis were similar in shaded partridgeberry and eastern hemlock.
- Partridgeberry brightens the drab forest floor in fall and winter, its mats of evergreen leaves and scarlet fruits hugging the ground.
Definition of partridgeberry in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.