noun (plural partridgeberries)
1A creeping North American plant of the madder family with red berries that are a favored food of game birds.
- Mitchella repens, family Rubiaceae
More example sentences
- The Canada Yew type was composed primarily of Canada yew, with Canada mayflower and partridgeberry making up an additional 33% of the importance.
- Seasonal patterns in the rates of photosynthesis were similar in shaded partridgeberry and eastern hemlock.
- Partridgeberry brightens the drab forest floor in fall and winter, its mats of evergreen leaves and scarlet fruits hugging the ground.
1.1The fruit of the partridgeberry plant.
Definition of partridgeberry in:
- The British & World English dictionary