1A policy, or the policies collectively, officially adopted by a political party: they rarely fail to toe the party line [as modifier]: a party-line voter
More example sentences
- Fundamentally, the Act was designed to enhance the power of the party leaderships and ensure that MPs toed the party line.
- Sectarian organizations with party lines and hierarchical, anti-democratic structures disrupt attempts to move forward collectively.
- Most of them loyally toe the party line for the sake of their careers.
2 dated A telephone line or circuit shared by two or more subscribers.
- It's like the difference between regular telephone lines and the old party lines that put a bunch of houses all on one line.
- E. used to have the best job a gossip could hope for - telephone operator in a small town in the days of party lines.
- These were all party lines on which everyone up and down the line could, and did, listen in!
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: par·ty line
Definition of party line in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.