(also passing tone)
- A note not belonging to the harmony but interposed to secure a smooth transition from one chord to another.More example sentences
- Even if the basic chords are unchanged, the melody almost inevitably adds passing notes which effectively alter the chords.
- But that B [musical flat] is a passing note, thematically perhaps of more minor importance in the Handel.
- Keefe could in fact have gone further here, showing how the connecting motif in the woodwind reduces the motif from bars 5-6 into two superimposed thirds, each filled in with a passing note.
More definitions of passing noteDefinition of passing note in:
- The British & World English dictionary