Definition of pastry in English:
noun (plural pastries)
1A dough of flour, shortening, and water, used as a base and covering in baked dishes such as pies.
- To make the basic suet pastry, sift the flour, baking powder and salt together, then rub in the suet.
- Modern recipes often call for lining the dish with pastry, so that the end result looks more like a cherry tart than a true clafoutis.
- This had thin, short pastry nicely dusted with icing sugar and was delicious.
1.1An item of food consisting of sweet pastry with a cream, jam, or fruit filling.
- All over Germany there are Konditorei famous for their torte and kuchen, fruit tarts and pastries.
- For desserts, Canopy offers caramel custard, pastries or pudding, along with tea and coffee.
- So how can French women put away as much ice-cream, rich pastries and steak frites as they want and yet stay so slim?
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia