Definition of pastry in English:
noun (plural pastries)
1A dough of flour, shortening, and water, used as a base and covering in baked dishes such as pies.
- To make the basic suet pastry, sift the flour, baking powder and salt together, then rub in the suet.
- Modern recipes often call for lining the dish with pastry, so that the end result looks more like a cherry tart than a true clafoutis.
- This had thin, short pastry nicely dusted with icing sugar and was delicious.
1.1An item of food consisting of sweet pastry with a cream, jam, or fruit filling.
- All over Germany there are Konditorei famous for their torte and kuchen, fruit tarts and pastries.
- For desserts, Canopy offers caramel custard, pastries or pudding, along with tea and coffee.
- So how can French women put away as much ice-cream, rich pastries and steak frites as they want and yet stay so slim?