Definition of pater in English:
1British informal dated Father: the pater gives her fifty pounds a year as a dress allowance
More example sentences
- Unfortunately, however, by the time pater returns from his day at the type face, father and son are more often than not no longer co-ordinated in the pants department.
- ‘How beautiful,’ said your mum to your pater. ‘If only you could be noble like that occasionally.’
- His narrator hotfoots it to Shanghai, where he was brought up, to solve the mystery of his missing mater and pater.
2 Anthropology A person’s legal father. Often contrasted with genitor.
- A limited number of individuals may claim ownership of the estates of both their pater and genitor.
- People do not claim to own more than one small-scale name, unless their pater is distinct from their genitor.
- We look at the previous offspring of the pater.
Words that rhyme with patercater, crater, creator, curator, data, debater, delator, dumbwaiter, equator, fascinator, freighter, frustrater, gaiter, grater, gyrator, hater, later, legator, mater, negator, peseta, plater, rotator, skater, slater, stater, tater, traitor, ultimata, understater, upstater, waiter
Definition of pater in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan