noun (plural patresfamilias /ˌpātrēzfə-, ˌpä-/)
- The male head of a family or household. Compare with materfamilias.More example sentences
- At the heart of the Roman family was the paterfamilias, the father of the family.
- The current movie is about a family named Baker, of which the paterfamilias is a small-time college football coach, and the mother is a homemaker.
- But the legitimization of the traditional family provided by the paterfamilias doctrine was reaffirmed by conservative courts through a doctrine of ‘family autonomy’ in the 1920s.
Latin, literally 'father of the family'.
More definitions of paterfamiliasDefinition of paterfamilias in:
- The British & World English dictionary