Definition of patient in English:
Able to accept or tolerate delays, problems, or suffering without becoming annoyed or anxious: be patient, your time will come
More example sentences
- The people of Gloucester must have been affected by the patient suffering of their pastor.
- The Foss Basin is always a safe bet at this time of year and pike anglers have been reaping the rewards of a patient approach.
- This time, they are taking a more patient approach.
informal unflappable, cool
persevering, persistent, tenacious, indefatigable, dogged, determined, resolved, resolute, single-minded
nounBack to top
1A person receiving or registered to receive medical treatment.
- This could also open the way for hospitals to start charging patients for treatment.
- Hospital chiefs insist no patient suffered worse treatment because of the scandal.
- It could see patients being banned from treatment for up to a year in severe cases.
- Example sentences
- I'm at my local grocery store waiting patiently in the checkout aisle and there it is.
- In the first instance, a child is patiently attempting to trace letters in a book.
- They sat still, waiting patiently for the shaman to call upon his powers to change his form.
Words that rhyme with patientimpatient
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.