noun (plural patios)
1A paved outdoor area adjoining a house.
- There is a large paved patio at the back of the house.
- The gardens are fully landscaped and each house features a paved patio to the rear with privacy fencing.
- There is decking beside the house and a flagged stone patio area.
1.1A roofless inner courtyard in a Spanish or Spanish-American house.
- The long thin office wings enclose two hermetic internal courtyards or patios.
- The best way to see this place is to wander aimlessly through public areas, internal patios and courtyards.
- Accommodation is arranged to give a maximum effect of volume and light, using internal patios to create a stimulating interplay of interior and exterior space.
Early 19th century: from Spanish, denoting an inner courtyard.
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.