- 1Of, relating to, or characteristic of a patriarch.More example sentences
- Her mother wants to be sympathetic, yet as a representative of her father's patriarchal power, she can only follow the script laid out for her.
- Parents enjoy a patriarchal status and the father claims the best chair near the fire.
- Our family was a traditional patriarchal family, with my Dad at the helm.
- 2Of, relating to, or characteristic of a system of society or government controlled by men: a patriarchal society patriarchal valuesMore example sentences
- Rules such as these may be acquired during childhood and may reflect the patriarchal values of society.
- In short, patriarchal society values masculine gender roles only when they are performed by males.
- She has totally internalised patriarchal values that are common to our society.
- More example sentences
- At the time it was clear that there was no chance of getting in touch with your self unless you had witnessed what nature had so perversely, so patriarchally, hidden from your view.
- Under the Old Regime, the government acted patriarchally.
- Inmates of various types were integrated into this patriarchally organized house.
More definitions of patriarchalDefinition of patriarchal in:
- The British & World English dictionary