- Of, relating to, or based on relationship to the father or descent through the male line: in Polynesia inheritance of land was predominantly patrilinealMore example sentences
- Polygyny is prevalent and even in groups without traditional patrilineal descent, Islam has strengthened male control of women.
- Because women marry into a patrilineal descent system, the children belong to the father.
- Why the change occurred is not 100% clear, but is likely a result of the traumas of exile, when many Jewish women were raped, and a patrilineal descent rule would have been a disaster.
early 20th century: from Latin pater, patr- 'father' + lineal.
More definitions of patrilinealDefinition of patrilineal in:
- The British & World English dictionary