Definition of patrimony in English:
noun (plural patrimonies)
1Property inherited from one’s father or male ancestor.
- The modern official formation of the Japanese canon of cultural patrimony dates back to the first cultural protection law of 1871.
- According to the law of Abdera, whoever wasted his patrimony would be deprived of the rites of burial.
- Several crumbling mansions also echo the misfortunes of wastrel sons who blew their patrimony on (as one local tells me), ‘fast women and slow horses’.
1.1Heritage: an organization that saves the world’s cultural patrimony by restoring historic buildings
More example sentences
- The importance of these collections in preserving the cultural patrimony of African Americans in particular and Americans in general is indisputable.
- Such places of natural beauty were to be passed ‘as a sacred patrimony from generation to generation’.
- And they wouldn't be considered cultural patrimony.
1.2chiefly historical The estate or property belonging by ancient endowment or right to a church or other institution.
- Norman abbots energetically fought off the encroachments on the wealth and patrimony of the houses on which the abbots' own fates depended.
- The most notable elements of the Andorran patrimony are its thirty Romanesque churches, almost all of them small, built between the ninth and the thirteenth centuries.
- Example sentences
- In a traditional patrimonial system, all ruling relationships are personal relationships and the difference between the private and public spheres is nonexistent.
- Of course, this is an additional patrimonial treasure that will increase the notoriety of Arles.
- They underline the patrimonial structure of society in mobilizing the people.
Words that rhyme with patrimonymatrimony
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan