Definition of pavement in English:
1Any paved area or surface.
- A common demand by the residents of the Lake Area is that the pavement around the monument be cleared of encroachments and hawkers.
- Many live off petty trade, selling goods on the pavement in the market area.
- Why not break up the tiles and make them into a mosaic for either the pavement around the area or even incorporated into some other city centre venue.
1.1North American The hard surface of a road or street.
- If John hadn't been holding onto her, she would have crashed painfully to the hard pavement of the street below her feet.
- More than one third agreed improvements needed to be made to road and pavement repairs and street cleaning.
- It was nothing but quiet traces of oldies on the radio and the sound of cars flying past each other on hard pavement.
1.3 Geology A more or less horizontal expanse of bare rock.
- Early that afternoon I walked over to the outcrop and climbed up onto the flat pavements of exposed rock.
- At the northern margin carbonate was produced at the outer platform in bivalve banks and at the platform edge in rhodolith pavements.
- Bivalves extensively colonized the outer platform, and rhodolith pavements covered its edge.
- 1pound the pavement
- see pound2.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.