Definition of pawl in English:
1A pivoted curved bar or lever whose free end engages with the teeth of a cogwheel or ratchet so that the wheel or ratchet can only turn or move one way.
- The drive mechanism may comprise a ratchet and pawl.
- He calls it the pawl, a proper engineering term to go with ratchet.
- Watch out, because pawls and pawl springs can come flying out.
1.1Each of a set of short stout bars that engage with the whelps and prevent a capstan, windlass, or winch from recoiling.
- The capstan for raising the anchor was something I hadn't seen before - like a huge rolling pin set across the ship, with wooden pawls to prevent backwards rotation.
- In the tang of a gathering sea breeze, listening to the click of pawls as winches spun, all the Machiavellian intrigue faded.
Definition of pawl in:
- British & World English dictionary