Definition of pay dirt in English:
1Ground containing ore in sufficient quantity to be profitably extracted.
- According to one of many legends, Wickenburg named the Vulture Mine after the buzzards circling over his head as he struck pay dirt.
- The industry insists that companies won't drill unless they're certain to hit pay dirt.
1.1 informal Profit; reward: the gig pays three hundred bucks a week—looks like I just hit pay dirt
More example sentences
- Not only had they hit pay dirt, they returned ‘the gold’ within the primary phase or first 90-days of their journey.
- This time I hit pay dirt, and while the pages unscrolled on my screen a cold chill ran down my spine.
- In fact he had hit pay dirt as he was performing his joke to one of the country's top comedy managers.
Words that rhyme with pay dirtnightshirt • Frankfurt
Definition of pay dirt in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan