Definition of pay dirt in English:
1Ground containing ore in sufficient quantity to be profitably extracted.
- According to one of many legends, Wickenburg named the Vulture Mine after the buzzards circling over his head as he struck pay dirt.
- The industry insists that companies won't drill unless they're certain to hit pay dirt.
1.1 informal Profit; reward: the gig pays three hundred bucks a week—looks like I just hit pay dirt
More example sentences
- Not only had they hit pay dirt, they returned ‘the gold’ within the primary phase or first 90-days of their journey.
- This time I hit pay dirt, and while the pages unscrolled on my screen a cold chill ran down my spine.
- In fact he had hit pay dirt as he was performing his joke to one of the country's top comedy managers.
Definition of pay dirt in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.