1The part of a vehicle’s load, especially an aircraft’s, from which revenue is derived; passengers and cargo.
- The airplane will usually be carrying a payload (passengers, cargo, weapons) and often a full load of fuel.
- The airline wanted an aircraft with excellent payload to achieve a good passenger-seat-per-mile cost even though it would be a more expensive aircraft to initially purchase.
- A long, slender fuselage was necessary to contain most of the fuel as well as the landing gear and payloads.
1.1Equipment, personnel, or satellites carried by a spacecraft.
- The satellite will carry a payload that will transmit a Galileo experimental signal.
- I've restricted it to spacecraft carrying useful payloads that actually flew.
- It operates microgravity science payloads for ground and spaceflight research.
1.2 Computing The actual information or message in transmitted data, as opposed to automatically generated metadata.
- The original client request to the presentation server is typically in HTTP with a possible payload of XML.
- There are limits to how much lossless data compression can compress and increase the payload of a TCP/IP data packet.
- In general, each message contains a source, a destination, metadata, as well as the data payload itself.
2An explosive warhead carried by a missile.
- It will carry a warhead payload of 404 dual-purpose improved conventional munition bomblets.
- Moreover, it is studying new kinds of warheads and payloads for the missiles, as well as new missiles.
- It will have a 30-minute loiter time at 70 kilometers capability using a micro turbojet engine and a warhead payload.
2.1 Computing The effects of a virus on a computer system.
- Sophos experts have advised customers about a new email-aware worm that has an unusual payload.
- His Gokar worm also had a malicious payload - it attempted to overwrite the main page on the websites of infected companies.
- It does not have a malicious payload, meaning it does not destroy or alter information within a computer.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of payload in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.