- A peasant or countryman, especially in France.More example sentences
- In recent years, the imitation of French culture has led people to refer to the ‘provinces’ and to their inhabitants as paysans - ‘peasants.’
- Most people find this gives the place a pretty charming air of dereliction, and it's a lot quieter, less shiny and less choked with paysans than cities on the Italian, or even the European mainland.
- In his autobiography, one small farmer from the first half of the twentieth century was happy to call himself a paysan but carefully termed his son, a farmer of the second half, a cultivateur.
More definitions of paysanDefinition of paysan in:
- The British & World English dictionary