- A short, double-breasted overcoat of coarse woolen cloth, formerly worn by sailors.More example sentences
- Don it with just about any type of outerwear: a leather jacket, a pea coat, and most definitely a parka.
- I hide the purple pea coat under my wet yellow raincoat, dash back into the restaurant, go straight for the ladies room.
- The man was holding a piece of paper and a valise, wearing a large black hat and a pea coat.
early 18th century: probably from Dutch pijjakker, from pij 'coat of coarse cloth' + jekker 'jacket'. The change in the ending was due to association with jacket.
More definitions of pea jacketDefinition of pea jacket in:
- The British & World English dictionary