nounchiefly North American
- A civil officer appointed to preserve law and order, such as a sheriff or police officer.More example sentences
- The section formerly empowered a peace officer to arrest a person who the officer ‘on reasonable and probable grounds’ believed had committed an indictable offence.
- He's been charged with obstructing a peace officer and assaulting a police officer.
- A citizen making such an arrest is obliged to deliver the person to a peace officer immediately.
More definitions of peace officerDefinition of peace officer in:
- The British & World English dictionary