Definition of peacock butterfly in English:
A brightly colored Eurasian butterfly with conspicuous eyespots on its wings.
- Inachis io, subfamily Nymphalinae, family Nymphalidae
- The survey revealed that the first record of peacock butterflies was on Boxing Day and, on average, the peacock butterfly is appearing over two weeks earlier than 30 years ago.
- Perhaps most surprising is that the peacock butterfly, not normally spotted until March, has already been widely recorded, with a sighting on 28 December last year and others seen flying about in the snow.
- Not just the usual cabbage whites this year, but tortoiseshells, red admirals, painted ladies and peacock butterflies too.
Definition of peacock butterfly in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan