- A brightly colored Eurasian butterfly with conspicuous eyespots on its wings.
More example sentences
- Inachis io, subfamily Nymphalinae, family Nymphalidae
- The survey revealed that the first record of peacock butterflies was on Boxing Day and, on average, the peacock butterfly is appearing over two weeks earlier than 30 years ago.
- Perhaps most surprising is that the peacock butterfly, not normally spotted until March, has already been widely recorded, with a sighting on 28 December last year and others seen flying about in the snow.
- Not just the usual cabbage whites this year, but tortoiseshells, red admirals, painted ladies and peacock butterflies too.
More definitions of peacock butterflyDefinition of peacock butterfly in:
- The British & World English dictionary