nounNorth American informal
1The top gallery in a theater, where the cheaper seats are located.
- She observed that planthoppers in the peanut gallery would lift a foot or two, presumably for better hearing: the other feet, bearing more weight, thus became more sensitive to vibration.
- When Kate next saw Holly it was from the peanut gallery.
- I can already hear ten thousand asthmatic cries of disbelief rising in the peanut gallery.
1.1A group of people who criticize someone, often by focusing on insignificant details: he might find that playing the sport he loves isn’t worth the aggravation from the peanut gallery’s probing of his privacy
More example sentences
- The best was when he landed and the hot crew peanut gallery was like, ‘Who are you?’
- No comments from the peanut gallery, thank-you.
- It sounds like I'm in the minority here, but count me as a negative vote from the peanut gallery.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: pea·nut gal·ler·y
Definition of peanut gallery in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.