Definition of pearl millet in English:
A tall tropical grain with long cylindrical ears, comprising an important food crop in the driest areas of Africa and South Asia.
- Pennisetum glaucum (or typhoides), family Gramineae
- Glabrous mutant varieties have been identified in many cereal crop species, including rice, wheat, barley, oats, pearl millet, sugarcane, and sorghum.
- Though pearl millet, a grain crop native to western Africa, is grown in the United States for forage, there is no established grain market for it.
- Considerable efforts have been made to introduce the trait into crops such as maize and pearl millet by traditional breeding involving interspecific hybridization.
Definition of pearl millet in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan