- As a result, poor peasants might find themselves paying their dues to a wealthy peasant, and never see the lord at all.
- They set out the next day and at evening approached a small hut from which a poor peasant emerged.
- The victims were from a group of poor peasants who had occupied a 49-acre plot of land.
- Example sentences
- It is robust, peasanty and rustic with all the feel-good, comfort qualities of home-made food, but more interesting and commendably professional than your own, all too familiar efforts.
- A starter of bucatini (a slightly hollow spaghetti) with squid was altogether more peasanty.
- For a quick cheat, I think this recipe has a fairly peasanty feel to it.
Late Middle English: from Old French paisent 'country dweller', from pais 'country', based on Latin pagus 'country district'.
pagan from Late Middle English:
In Latin paganus originally meant ‘of the country, rustic’, and also ‘civilian, non-military’. Around the 4th century ad, it developed the sense ‘non-Christian, heathen’. One theory is that belief in the ancient gods lingered on in the rural villages after Christianity had been generally accepted in the towns and cities of the Roman Empire; another focuses on the ‘civilian’ sense, and points out that early Christians called themselves ‘soldiers of Christ’, making non-Christians into ‘civilians’. A third view compares heathens to people outside the civilized world of towns and cities, belonging to the countryside. Curiously, it was not uncommon to find Pagan as a given name, a custom that has recently been revived. The Latin root paganus came from pagus ‘country district’, which is also the source of peasant. Heathen is similar in meaning and development, coming from a word meaning ‘inhabiting open country’ which is related to heath. Both these words are Germanic and were already in use in Old English.
Words that rhyme with peasantbezant, omnipresent, pheasant, pleasant, present
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.