- 1A large absorbent moss that grows in dense masses on boggy ground, where the lower parts decay slowly to form peat deposits. Peat moss is widely used in horticulture, especially for packing plants and (as peat) for compost. Also called bog moss, sphagnum.
More example sentences
- Genus Sphagnum, family Sphagnaceae: many species
- Rotted cow manure, compost, shredded sphagnum, granulated peat moss, sawdust and ground corncobs are some materials that may be worked thoroughly into the soil.
- Look for one containing vermiculite and perlite, sphagnum peat moss, a little ground bark and sand.
- Whatever she uses to cover her newly planted seeds - sphagnum peat moss, compost or soil - can be applied with her flat sifter.
More definitions of peat mossDefinition of peat moss in:
- The British & World English dictionary