Definition of peccary in English:
noun (plural peccaries)
A gregarious piglike mammal that is found from the southwestern US to Paraguay.
- Family Tayassuidae: two genera and three species, in particular the collared peccary (Tayassu tajacu)
- From what scientists can tell, their preferred diet is deer and wild pigs called peccaries.
- Finding one of these big peccaries all by itself and away from its herd was unprecedented in our experience.
- The snout of peccaries has the same mobile cartilaginous disk and terminal nostrils as pigs.
early 17th century: from Carib pakira.
Definition of peccary in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan