Definition of pedicle in English:
nounAnatomy & Zoology
1A small stalklike structure connecting an organ or other part to the human or animal body. Compare with pedicel.
- The prostatic pedicles are groupings of connective tissue found on either side of the vas deferens and seminal vesicle.
- After the lung and tumor are removed, a vascular pedicle of pericardial fat is loosely sutured to the bronchial stump.
- This is stabilised using titanium screws placed in the pedicle of the vertebrae, with a rod connecting the screws.
1.1 Medicine Part of a graft, especially a skin graft, left temporarily attached to its original site.
- The TRAM flap remains attached to the superior pedicle, while the donor vessels are exposed.
- Despite meticulous suturing, telescoping techniques, or covering the anastomosis with pedicles of vital tissues, dehiscence may still occur.
- Suggested treatment for small, intact blisters is to remove the blister contents by needle aspiration or to lance the blister at its base but leave a pedicle of attachment.
early 17th century: from Latin pediculus 'small foot', diminutive of pes, ped-.
Definition of pedicle in:
- British & World English dictionary