Definition of pen shell in English:
A large, wedge-shaped, bivalve mollusk of warm seas that burrows into the seabed where it attaches itself by strong byssus threads.
- Family Pinnidae: Pinna and other genera
- Included are pen shells, pearl oysters and a young Tridacna.
- Modern pinnoideans, or ‘pen shells,’ are shallowly to deeply endobyssate, equivalved, edentulous, ham-shaped bivalves with a single, slightly submerged, opisthodetic ligament.
- Perfect for photography, the cave walls and rocky floor are filled with marine life, including pen shells and seahorses.
Definition of pen shell in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan