- 1Subject to some form of punishment: you’ll be penalized if you tap the account before age 59More example sentences
punish, discipline, inflict a penalty on
- In addition to luring you with offers of free miles and free money, airlines have also taken the reverse approach and are trying to dissuade travelers from booking offline by penalizing the customers who do so.
- Starting July 1, locals who leave their bicycles about on the city's main streets will be penalized with a fine of five yuan.
- Violatiors will be penalised with fines of 20 000 to 120 000 leva.
- 1.1(In various sports) punish (a player or team) for a breach of the rules by awarding an advantage to the opposition.More example sentences
- Basketball is supposed to be a non-contact sport and referees penalise players that bump, barge and shove an opponent.
- Before, the kicking team was penalized if a player came within 2 yards of a returner before he caught the ball.
- They would cheer when a goal was scored, boo when the umpires penalized their favorite player, and jump up and down in glee when they won the game.
- 1.2Put in an unfavorable position or at an unfair disadvantage: if the bill is not amended, genuine claimants will be penalizedMore example sentences
- I believe it is unfair to penalise parents who miss the payment of this allowance due to this.
- Although a child can be thrown out of a school if false information has been used, most councils said they would not consider this as it was unfair to penalise pupils for their parents' wrongdoing.
- All of them have the disadvantage of penalizing the investor for selling the fund, even years after purchase.
- 1.3 Law Make or declare (an act or offense) legally punishable: section twenty penalizes possession of a firearm when trespassingMore example sentences
- It discharges this function in many cases, but in many others it remains silent, merely enacting a provision which appears to penalize an act or an omission without any reference to fault.
- If there is a reason for treating the two categories of entrant differently it must be in order to penalise the trespasser's wrongdoing.
- The statutory objective is to penalise the unauthorised possession of dangerous or otherwise harmful drugs.
- More example sentences
- The United States far outstrips all advanced nations in the international trend towards the penalization of social insecurity.
- Further alignments with different gap penalizations were performed to estimate the stability and validity of the final alignments.
- She's also against the penalization of abortion.
Pronunciation: /ˌpenəliˈzāSHən, ˌpē-/noun