- The extent to which a particular gene or set of genes is expressed in the phenotypes of individuals carrying it, measured by the proportion of carriers showing the characteristic phenotype.More example sentences
- Because of reduced penetrance, individuals of different genotypes can have the same phenotype.
- With the exception of the relatively rare high penetrance, single gene disorders, genetic tests differ little from most other medical tests, providing evidence of statistical risk only.
- High penetrance susceptibility genes probably account for no more than 5-10% of cases.
1930s: from German Penetranz.
More definitions of penetranceDefinition of penetrance in:
- The British & World English dictionary