- A large flightless seabird of the southern hemisphere, with black upper parts and white underparts and wings developed into flippers for swimming under water. See also Adélie penguin, emperor penguin, king penguin, macaroni penguin.
More example sentences
- Family Spheniscidae: six genera and several species
- The island is only a quarter of a square mile in size, but it is teeming with penguins and other sea birds.
- The emperor penguin is the largest penguin species and also one of the few found in Antarctica.
- Green sea turtles rest on the shore and penguins are waddling off for a swim.
late 16th century (originally denoting the great auk): of unknown origin.
More definitions of penguinDefinition of penguin in:
- The British & World English dictionary