- 1An antibiotic or group of antibiotics produced naturally by certain blue molds, and now usually prepared synthetically.More example sentences
- Major classes of antibiotics include tetracyclines, aminoglycosides, penicillins, cephalosporins, fluoroquinolones, streptogramins, sulfonamides, and erythromycins.
- The antibiotics used were mainly cephalosporins, penicillins, fluoroquinolones, aminoglycosides, tetracyclines and antituberculosis drugs.
- Most antibiotics such as penicillins, cyclosporines, and aminoglycosides can be used safely during pregnancy, but tetracyclines should be avoided.
from the modern Latin genus name Penicillium (from Latin penicillus 'paintbrush') + -in1.
More definitions of penicillinDefinition of penicillin in:
- The British & World English dictionary