(also Pennsylvania German)
1A dialect of High German spoken in parts of Pennsylvania.
- The Amish speak English, German, and a dialect known as Pennsylvania German or Pennsylvania Dutch.
- I quickly made a virus called Heevahava, the name being a Pennsylvania Dutch pejorative for a simpleton, colloquially - a farmhand given the job of harvesting sperm from a bull.
- By ‘smear-case’ he meant Smierkase, a Pennsylvania Dutch term.
2 (as plural noun the Pennsylvania Dutch or Germans) The German-speaking inhabitants of Pennsylvania, descendants of 17th- and 18th-century Protestant immigrants from the Rhineland.
- It continues at Atco Raceway, Mason-Dixon Dragway, and Lebanon Valley Dragway and ends at Maple Grove Raceway with the Pennsylvania Dutch Classic.
- And make sure you stop for some Pennsylvania Dutch cooking.
- The other semi-disturbing thing I saw in the museum was a portrait of a Pennsylvania Dutch farmer and his dog from the 1700's.
Dutch from German Deutsch 'German'.
Definition of Pennsylvania Dutch in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.