- A unit of weight, 24 grains or one twentieth of an ounce troy.More example sentences
- Gold is measured using troy weights (as opposed to the more familiar avoirdupois weights): 24 grains make a pennyweight, and 20 pennyweights make a 31.1-gram troy ounce.
- Both agreed there was gold - one suggesting up to two and a half ounces per ton of quartz, the other ‘equal to one ounce eleven pennyweights per ton.’
- They are each to be of the value of half a cent, and to contain five pennyweights and a half a pennyweight of copper.
More definitions of pennyweightDefinition of pennyweight in:
- The British & World English dictionary