Definition of pentameral in English:
(Of symmetry) fivefold, as typical of many echinoderms. Compare with pentamerous.
- The echinoderm body plan has pentameral symmetry, a water vascular system and a ring-shaped nervous system.
- The most distinctive thing about echinoderm appearance is their pentameral - that is, a five fold - radial symmetry.
- The distinctive pentameral symmetry of this specimen has no close similarity to figured articular facets of fossil and recent hyocrinids.
- Example sentences
- Pentamerally symmetric echinoderms are a bilaterian metazoan phylum whose members exhibit secondarily derived radial symmetry.
- Some forms, such as the starfish, are pentamerally symmetrical, with five equal sides.
Definition of pentameral in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan