Definition of pentaploid in English:
1(Of a cell or nucleus) containing five homologous sets of chromosomes.
- Figure 2E, F, for example, shows a pentaploid cell with 14 chromosomes of the A genome and 21 of the B genome.
- For example, the triploid primary endosperm nucleus of Triticum aestivum has in prophase a DNA content of 6C, while the pentaploid primary endosperm nucleus of Gagea lutea has in prophase a DNA content of 10C.
- DAPI-stained chromosomes of a PMC at metaphase I of the pentaploid S - 41 from the cross H. megalanthus x H. monacanthus.
nounBack to top
A pentaploid organism, variety, or species.
- Intergeneric-interploidy hybridization between Hylocereus species and S. megalanthus yielded triploids, pentaploids, hexaploids, and aneuploid hybrids.
- The diploid, the triploid and the pentaploid hybrids tested had the expected number of two, three and five rDNA hybridization sites, respectively.
- The reciprocal cross in which tetraploid PAX was used as the seed parent produced only pentaploid offspring, indicating that PAX produced unreduced egg cells that were fertilized (P. J. VAN DIJK, unpublished data).
Definition of pentaploid in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.