noun (plural pentimenti /-ˈmentē/)
- A visible trace of earlier painting beneath a layer or layers of paint on a canvas.More example sentences
- The rapid delineation of muscles and sinews, the visible pentimenti and the variable thickness of the chalk lines indicate a purposeful exploration of the physical possibilities of the medium in accurately depicting the human body.
- In fact, drawing is prominent in the paintings, whether jerkily outlining colored patches or visible as the pentimenti of earlier, barely erased marks.
- She does not follow the design by rote, as revealed by the pentimenti of alterations made during the painting process.
early 20th century: from Italian, literally 'repentance'.
More definitions of pentimentoDefinition of pentimento in:
- The British & World English dictionary