- Any of the class of simple sugars whose molecules contain five carbon atoms, such as ribose and xylose. They generally have the chemical formula C5H10O5.More example sentences
- The pentose sugars, whose molecules contain only five carbon atoms instead of six, caramelize very well.
- The salvage pathways combine adenine with a pentose to alter the adenosine nucleotide pool inventory.
- The pentose phosphate pathway is primarily an anabolic pathway that utilizes the 6 carbons of glucose to generate 5 carbon sugars and reducing equivalents.
More definitions of pentoseDefinition of pentose in:
- The British & World English dictionary