- The penultimate syllable of a word.More example sentences
- The first places stress either on the penult of the stem (orIGin-al, with source ORigin; VIRgin-al and proFESSion-al already have the stress on this syllable in the source), or on the final syllable (diaLECTal, with source DIalect).
- The main characteristic regarding accent in Japanese is that the highest accent is on the penult (second to the last syllable).
- If the ultima is long, and if the penult is accented, then it must be acute.
adjectiveBack to top
- archaic term for penultimate.
More definitions of penultDefinition of penult in:
- The British & World English dictionary