Definition of peppermint in English:
1The aromatic leaves of a plant of the mint family, or an essential oil obtained from them, used as a flavoring in food.
- Moroccan mint tea is a brisk blend of gunpowder green tea and peppermint leaves, while Earl Grey, a famous British tea, is made up of black tea leaves flavored with bergamot orange oil.
- And if your gut does start complaining, placate it with a cup of soothing mint or ginger tea or a capsule of peppermint oil.
- With ingredients like peppermint and jojoba essential oil, milk protein, and Shea butter, it is also good for your hair.
1.1A candy flavored with peppermint oil.
- As you can see, these are all real glass ornaments, but they are cupcakes and peppermints and candy canes.
- Or how he tastes like peppermints and sweet vodka at six-thirty on a Saturday morning.
- The truck driver tells her the peppermints are nickel candy.
2The cultivated Old World plant that yields peppermint leaves or oil.
- Mentha piperita, family Labiatae
- Aroma advocates claim that rosemary, peppermint, basil and jasmine scents, alone or in combination, may improve your mental alertness.
- More seasonal and colourful plants such as cherry, Chinese flowering crabapple and pomegranate as well as some fragrant plants such as peppermint, thyme and rosemary dot the park.
- Suitable repellent oils are lavender, citronella, peppermint, lemongrass, cinnamon, thyme and basil.
3Australian Any of a number of trees or shrubs with peppermint-scented foliage, in particular.
- ● A gum tree with leaves that yield an aromatic essential oil (genus Eucalyptus, family Myrtaceae). ● A myrtle grown as an ornamental tree or shrub (genus Agonis, family Myrtaceae).
- Then mixed species appear of soft intoxicating peppermints, blackwoods, sassafras and blue gum.
- The smells of the peppermint groves, the sea and the sand dunes are almost palpable.
- Example sentences
- These are deposited by the bugs before they settle down to digest their meals, and have a sweet odour described as ‘pepperminty’ or ‘musty’.
- They also have a strong pepperminty smell when you crush the leaves!
- Do you detect an odour that is either pepperminty or musty?
Words that rhyme with peppermintenprint • screen print
Definition of peppermint in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan