- A substance that is secreted by the stomach wall and converted into the enzyme pepsin by gastric acid.More example sentences
- In the stomach, pepsinogen is secreted, and activated into pepsin by the acid that is secreted at the same site.
- Examples of important proenzymes include pepsinogen, trypsinogen and chymotrypsinogen, which give rise to the proteolytic digestive enzymes.
- Ginger is an excellent natural antacid because it prevents the breakdown of pepsinogen to pepsin: the latter irritates tissue to cause peptic ulcers.
More definitions of pepsinogenDefinition of pepsinogen in:
- The British & World English dictionary