Definition of peptone in English:
1A soluble protein formed in the early stage of protein breakdown during digestion.
- Supplementation of cultures with the rich nutrient peptone has been previously shown to suppress submerged culture conidiation.
- Yeast extract / peptone / dextrose, synthetic selective media, and minimal media were prepared as described.
- They are professional colleagues, too, and have published a paper together about immunity from the anticoagulant action of peptone.
1.1 (also peptone water) A solution of peptone in saline, used as a liquid medium for growing bacteria.
- Briefly, S. Typhimurium was grown on nutrient agar and passed into peptone water before subculturing on Congo red agar.
- I will need some lactose broth and the modified peptone water so I can test for all possibilities.
- Bactosoytone, the medium that is used to cultivate bacteria in the process of making monosodium glutamate, is one of the peptones.
Mid 19th century: from German Pepton, from Greek pepton, neuter of peptos 'cooked, digested'.
Definition of peptone in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.