Definition of peridotite in English:
A dense, coarse-grained plutonic rock containing a large amount of olivine, believed to be the main constituent of the earth’s mantle.
- Diamonds sometimes contain minute inclusions of the minerals garnet, olivine, and pyroxene, which indicate formation in two major mantle rock-types, peridotite and eclogite.
- The intellectual and creative processes by which we improve infrastructural code are no less natural than the geological forces that turn granite into gneiss, limestone into marble and peridotite into serpentine.
- The magma contains components of the sediments and weathered oceanic crust from the Nazca plate as well as the peridotite in the mantle beneath South America.
- Example sentences
- Point 2 represents the formation of garnet-bearing peridotitic mylonite on the western boundary.
- The origin of the deposits is considered to be similar to that of the volcanic - peridotitic ores, where segregation from an ultrabasic magma appears the most likely scenario.
Pronunciation: /ˌperidəˈtitik, pəˌridə-/adjective
Definition of peridotite in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan