Definition of perinatal in English:
Of or relating to the time, usually a number of weeks, immediately before and after birth.
- They were transferred to our neonatal intensive care unit with a presumptive diagnosis of perinatal asphyxia.
- Preterm birth is a major challenge in perinatal health care.
- Studies have shown that perinatal and paediatric autopsies are performed best by perinatal and paediatric pathologists.
- Example sentences
- Because newborns have an immature immune system, 90 percent of infants infected perinatally progress to chronic infection.
- In Asia, most persons are infected perinatally and are usually asymptomatic, but remain chronically infected.
- Despite these barriers, the number of infants who were perinatally exposed to HIV whose mothers were screened during pregnancy for HIV increased from 70 to 94 percent from 1992 to 1997.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan