- Inflammation of the tissue around the teeth, often causing shrinkage of the gums and loosening of the teeth.More example sentences
- The second form of periodontal disease is chronic periodontitis and this is where the inflammation leads to loss of the bone and the periodontal ligament that holds the teeth in, and ultimately leads to loss of the teeth.
- When gingivitis isn't treated, it can lead to periodontitis, in which the gums loosen around the teeth and pockets of bacteria and pus form, sometimes damaging the supporting bone and causing tooth loss.
- As many as 44 percent of those aged 55 to 90 who still have their teeth also have periodontitis.
More definitions of periodontitisDefinition of periodontitis in:
- The British & World English dictionary