Definition of peripatetic in English:
1Traveling from place to place, especially working or based in various places for relatively short periods: the peripatetic nature of military life
More example sentences
- I have no respect for teachers, lecturers or peripatetic drifters.
- Perhaps the royal colleges should appoint peripatetic experts who would travel around the country.
- To these votaries, he is variously the perennial storyteller, the kindly sage, the gentle teacher, the maker of auspicious symbols, and the peripatetic gardener of images.
2 (Peripatetic) Aristotelian.
[With reference to Aristotle's practice of walking to and fro while teaching]
- Introductions (attributed to Aristophanes) to some plays of Aeschylus, Sophocles, and Euripides, based on the Didascaliae (lists of dramatic productions) of Aristotle and on Peripatetic research, are extant in an abbreviated form.
- He founded the early Peripatetic school, combining Aristotelian and Neoplatonic elements and attempting to harmonize faith and reason.
- His intention was to defend the Cartesian doctrine of material substance against the Peripatetic doctrine of substantial forms in his explication of transubstantiation.
nounBack to top
2 (Peripatetic) An Aristotelian philosopher.
- This powerful and consistent materialism, somewhat modified from its original form by Epicurus, persisted as the chief competitor to the teleological natural philosophies of the Peripatetics, Stoics and Platonists.
- By these three virtues we ascend to philosophize in that celestial Athens where Stoics and Peripatetics and Epicureans, by the light of eternal truth, join ranks in a single harmonious will.
- For doctrines in these areas, he turns to the Stoics and Peripatetics.
- Example sentences
- Rather, he picks up a thought and wanders off peripatetically, his sentences getting longer and longer, but never becoming incoherent, until he returns to his initial thought.
- He recalls a childhood where his two peripatetically employed parents struggled to make ends meet.
Words that rhyme with peripateticaesthetic (US esthetic), alphabetic, anaesthetic (US anesthetic), antithetic, apathetic, apologetic, arithmetic, ascetic, athletic, balletic, bathetic, cosmetic, cybernetic, diabetic, dietetic, diuretic, electromagnetic, emetic, energetic, exegetic, frenetic, genetic, Helvetic, hermetic, homiletic, kinetic, magnetic, metic, mimetic, parenthetic, pathetic, phonetic, photosynthetic, poetic, prophetic, prothetic, psychokinetic, splenetic, sympathetic, syncretic, syndetic, synthetic, telekinetic, theoretic, zetetic
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan