Definition of periphyton in English:
Freshwater organisms attached to or clinging to plants and other objects projecting above the bottom sediments.
- They are commonly called ‘pondscum’, and make up the filamentous periphyton in ponds, growing on and around the larger aquatic plants.
- A spongy, Dijon-colored city of algae and microscopic creatures that floats on the surface, periphyton cleanses the Everglades of excess nutrients and pollutants.
- The tadpoles used in this experiment feed primarily on periphyton by scraping the surfaces of tank walls and leaves.
- Example sentences
- How important are rotifers to the ecology of springs and soils, interstitial, and periphytic habitats?
- The presence of herbivores also increased periphytic nutrient content in some experiments.
- A five-level light gradient experiment corroborated these findings: full sunlight suppressed periphytic accumulation.
1960s: from Greek peri- 'around' + phuton 'plant'.
Definition of periphyton in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.