Definition of peristalsis in English:
The involuntary constriction and relaxation of the muscles of the intestine or another canal, creating wavelike movements that push the contents of the canal forward.
- Yoga helps your body reabsorb and expel gas by stimulating peristalsis, the muscle contractions that eliminate waste.
- Waves of muscle contractions called peristalsis force food down through the esophagus to the stomach.
- The initial colonization of the walls of the ureter is in areas of turbulent flow which leads to paralysis of peristalsis.
- Example sentences
- He also suggested an expiratory wave of peristaltic smooth muscle contraction starting from the periphery to aid in exhalation.
- The normal esophagus responds immediately with a reflexive peristaltic contraction, a phenomenon called secondary peristalsis.
- Local stimulation by distension along the body of the esophagus will elicit a peristaltic wave at the stimulus site.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan