noun (plural perithecia /-ˈTHēSH(ē)ə, -sēə/)Botany
- (In some fungi) a round or flask-shaped fruiting body with a pore through which the spores are discharged.More example sentences
- A spore leaving the perithecium travels nearly straight up at first.
- All these steps take place in a specialized fruiting structure, the perithecium.
- Features of the spores and the perithecium in which they occur suggest that this may be a fossil species of Savoryella.
mid 19th century: modern Latin, from peri- 'around' + Greek thēkē 'case'.
More definitions of peritheciumDefinition of perithecium in:
- The British & World English dictionary