An Old World plant with flat, five-petaled flowers and glossy leaves. Some kinds are grown as ornamentals, and some contain alkaloids used in medicine.
- Genera Vinca and Catharanthus, family Apocynaceae
- At the base of a tree, for example, you might have better luck with wood chips or shade-loving ornamental plants like ivy, periwinkle, or pachysandra.
- You can even plant periwinkle, bugle and ground ivy in the gaps in your log or rock pile - this could make a fun project for an older child.
- Like Mexican heather, periwinkles are tender.
Another term for winkle.
- Here the interior is inlaid with millions of beautiful shells, scallops, paloudres, clams, periwinkles, mussels, oysters and rogans.
- The fish in this dish consists of whatever the fishermen caught earlier that morning - usually prawns, mussels, periwinkles, cod and sometimes octopus.
- In 1881, a thunderstorm in Worcester brought down tons of periwinkles and hermit crabs.
mid 16th century: of unknown origin.